Brickwork bond types

Here at Gilston Building Services, we are brickwork experts. From English bond to the standard stretcher bond, we can lay any type of brickwork you might want. But what are the differences in the brickwork bond types? And what kind of effect does each bond type create?

Stretcher bond or running bond

This is the most common type of brickwork you will often see on houses or on walls. With the longer, narrow face of the brick lined up with the one next to it, the course will overlap at the midsection of the bricks both above and below the course.  Perfect for simple brickwork, this bond is a basic repeating pattern, but will need reinforcing at larger heights.

Header bond

The same as stretcher bond, but with the bricks laid with the header (the square shape) facing outwards, instead of the long rectangular face, as is seen in stretcher bond.

English bond

English bond is a more intricate brick bond type with one course of stretcher bond, and one course of header bond alternating all the way up. This bond type uses a quoin close in the corners. This is a brick cut lengthwise into two halves.

Flemish bond

The most intricate type of bond is the Flemish bond. This uses alternate headers and stretches in the same course. With the headers of one course being centered over the stretchers of the course below.  Every alternate course of Flemish bond starts with header at the corner. As you can tell, this type of bond requires a skilled professional to lay it properly in a secure and stable way.

Choosing a brickwork bond

When choosing a brickwork bond, opt for something that will suit the rest of your home, and compliment it well. Especially if you are creating a home extension. This is because you want the the new part of your home to blend in with the old.

For more information or advice, get in touch with the experts today, here at Gilston Building Services.



Comments are closed.