With the temperatures plummeting, and the snow expected to keep flooding in, looking after your property should be a number one priority. Damp can be a common occurrence, and it makes your home feel colder than it really should. Not what you need in this weather! Damp can also seriously reduce the value of the property. So if you notice moisture patches and damp in your home, what can you do about it? Here at Gilston Building Services, we are experts in all aspects of building services, including damp proofing. These are our tips to help you recognise damp types, and deal with this common problem.
Types of damp
Firstly, you will need to identify the type of damp you have, as there are different treatment methods for different types of damp. The three types of damp include:
- Condensation-If there is not enough ventilation in your property, condensation damp can occur. This results in pools of water collecting and leaving damp patches. This can cause mould as well. To solve this, simply open more windows in your property, especially in the kitchen or bathroom where steam can be an issue.
- Penetrating- This type of damp is damp that is penetrating your property, either from roof problems, guttering issues, or from old brickwork. Simply by fixing the exterior problem, you can solve your damp problem quickly and easily.
- Rising- Rising damp is the type of damp that causes the biggest problems. This is caused by moisture rising through the ground, through porous bricks underneath, and to solve the issue, you will need to speak to an expert. Like us, here at Gilston Building Services.
Preventing damp this winter
This can be prevented from reoccurring by:
- regularly checking the roof and gutters
- using extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom to increase ventilation
- implementing a damp proof course
Damp is an issue that requires professional attention. Here at Gilston Building Services we are available for expert advice and support. Our trained and qualified professionals are on hand to identify and treat any damp issues, quickly and efficiently.